Dear Friends & Supporters,
As I’ve noted 4 decades, w/ each new warden (administration) that they rotate every 3 yrs or so, usually takes away from what we’ve got instead of gives us more. Although this new warden had added a few insensitives & letting guys actually work our way out of this hell hole unlike his predecessors who were 2 scared 2 make a fruitful decision 4 us, but didn’t mind/hesitate tightening the noose, using “security” 2 justify it, even though it was allowed 4 20 yrs w/o a problem, but w/a new sheriff n town, they gotta flex their muscles as cowards do w/ the hopeless & helpless. So every 3 yrs, we all brace 4 a new shit-storm 2 blow thru & now we’ve been issued new mail restrictions that I must share w/ those of U who may drop me a note from time 2 time, so it’s not rejected.
CHANGES 2 MAIL PROCEDURES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2019, FOR USP, ADX, FLORENCE, COLORADO
1) Some general correspondence will B photocopied & U will only B provided the photocopy.
2) All incoming general correspondence envelopes & paper must B white—no color.
3) Incoming general correspondence containing materials such as glitter, stickers, lipstick, crayon or marker will B rejected. Correspondence that is stained or contains an oily substance will B rejected.
4) Postage stamps & envelope flaps will B removed prior 2 all incoming correspondence.
5) All incoming general correspondence utilizing a label 4 either the recipient or/& sender information will B rejected. The recipient & sender information must B completed n ink or through address stamp.
6) All incoming correspondence w/ fragrance, such as but not limited 2 perfume or cologne, will B rejected.
7) All “homemade” greeting cards will B rejected. Commercial greeting cards will B photocopied prior 2 delivery. U will not be provided the commercial card.
I imagine the mailroom CO’s R pulling their hair out. Just think of the added work load this will take & cost 2 A: write up a rejection notice & B: post it. R mail is already SLOW, and now it’s about 2 get even SLOWER, at a time they’re cryin’ about staff shortage. Ha Ha. This is BOP management 4 U.
I can dig the drug concern, but I’ve never heard of anyone getting a dirty test since I’ve been here & they test us monthly. This should apply only 2 those they bust.
Almost everyone I correspond w/ does what’s now forbidden & it’s never been a problem.
Lo and behold. They just brought my mail w/ a reject notice. They put the person’s name but NOT their address. Thankfully I know this person. But if I’m just hearing from someone I’m unable 2 write back & ask if they got a rejection notice.
My friend Alan sent me parts of his manuscript that I didn’t get & my webmaster, who sends me my emails, didn’t get a notice, so I can’t appeal, which I would b/c whatever he wrote about time N YA as a kid hasn’t anything 2 do w/ “security” 50 yrs later. But that doesn’t matter.
Sadly, all those things they now deny us really added fun 2 my correspondence. All those sweet feminine touches was part of the fun hearing from those who take time 2 write. My gal makes cards & I’m her biggest fan. I think her cards R awesome. She’s N a class all her own. I invite U 2 check her work out (please see Renee’s link). No one that I know of who makes cards R as personal as hers. Designed at the time 4 a special person & situation that I’ve encouraged her 2 share w/ folks who R n R situation & gals who may be able 2 relate w/ the messages she was compelled 2 express w/almost childlike honesty. Now all those wonderful things we shared aren’t allowed due 2 no fault of R own. Like the monotone bars & walls that entomb me, they’ve stamped out the colors of happiness that I enjoy sharing w/ the outside world, enforcing a black & white existence N this colorless hole of madness.
Please take care & thank U all 4 your much needed love & support, especially when my box continues 2 shrink!
Your pal, Tommy
Dear Friends & Supporters,